A MOTHER from Chester who has been fighting for two decades to uncover the truth about her son’s death at Hillsborough has been told she has terminal cancer.
Anne Williams’ 15-year-old son Kevin was among the 96 Liverpool supporters who died in the stadium disaster in April, 1989.
Mrs Williams, of Newton, disputed the original coroner’s ruling Kevin died accidentally and refused to collect his death certificate.
She has spent the past 23 years pleading for a fresh inquest.
The 60-year-old has been diagnosed with bowel cancer and her supporters are now calling for any new inquest to be fast-tracked.
Mrs Williams said on Twitter: “Please help – I would love to have my inquest before I die.”
An online petition was set up on Monday and has already been signed by more than 6,500 people.
It reads: “We would like to give her something back for all the hard work and motherly love she has displayed over these 23 years.
“We feel it should be paramount that Kevin’s inquest is dealt with as soon as possible.”
If the petition reaches 100,000 signatures, then it could trigger a debate in the House of Commons.
Mrs Williams has become one of the most prominent figures in the victims’ families fight for justice and set up the Hope For Hillsborough (For Justice) charity.
She maintains Kevin was still alive at 4pm on the day of the tragedy and could have been saved had he been given oxygen.
Mrs Williams has been inundated with support since her cancer was diagnosed and will move into a hospice in Southport to be nearer her family and friends.
Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish said on Twitter: “She has been fantastically supportive to many for 23 years. Now it is our turn to support.”
Attorney General Dominic Grieve has confirmed he will apply to the High Court to have the verdicts into the 96 deaths overturned.
His announcement followed the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s report into the disaster, which revealed 41 fans could have been saved and that a police cover up took place to shift the blame on to the victims.
Earlier this month, Mrs Williams told the Leader she was expecting even more damning revelations to emerge.
She said: “There will be a whole new can of worms opened when the new inquests get under way, I am certain of that.
“There will be evidence of further failings and cover-ups which will come to light, important information which we have known for the last 23 years.
“The failings revealed recently were just the tip of the iceberg, there is a lot more to come.
“Kevin could have been saved that day. I am still fighting and I will continue to fight until we get all of the truth.”
Anybody wanting to sign the petition calling for Kevin Williams’ inquest to be fast-tracked go to epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/ 40925
See full story in the Chester Leader