CHESTER pushed high-flying Forest Green Rovers all the way to the line.

The Blues conceded goals either side of the interval from Liam Noble and Darren Carter.

But Elliott Durrell reduced Chester's arrears 10 minutes from time and provided a nervy end for the visitors.

The Blues made two changes from the side who suffered a 3-1 defeat at Woking the week before.

Luke George and Craig Mahon started in place of Jordan Chapell and suspended Evan Horwood who was sidelined after picking up five bookings.

Darren Carter produced the first shot of the match after just two minutes, but his 25 yard drive was blocked.

And Kieffer Moore saw his six yard header fly inches over the bar in the sixth minute as the visitors continued to threaten in the early stages.

Chester tried to respond in the 13th minute, but Ryan Astles' glancing header from a Mahon delivery on the left flew well wide of the right post.

Moore headed wide from another Forest Green attack in the 19th minute, and the visitors broke the deadlock in the 25th minute thanks to a Liam Noble free kick from the left touchline.

Chester hit back in the 28th minute when Blaine Hudson got a touch from an Elliott Durrell right wing cross, but his effort bobbled wide of the left post.

Moore should have doubled Rovers' lead in the 35th minute, but he ballooned a six yard shot over the target.

Chester's best scoring chance of the half arrived two minutes later when Mahon weaved his way into the area before playing a pass to Kane Richards, but the striker stood in an offside position.

Durrell then produced a low strike with a 25 yard free kick conceded by Ben Jefford a minute before the break, but his goalbound shot was superbly saved one-handed by visiting keeper Sam Russell.

Chester started well after the break, but Richards rifled a shot wide from the right edge of the six yard box.

And Rovers then began to enjoy a lot of possession after a string of accurate passing manouevres.

Darren Carter made it 2-0 for the vistors in the 52nd minute with a powerful 20 yard drive.

Worsnop did well to deny substitute Matt Tubbs and Marsh-Brown with saves in quick succession as the visitors attempted to build on their advantage.

Durrell then reduced Chester's arrears 10 minutes from time when he met a pass from substitute Jordan Chapell and thumped his shot into the roof of the net.

Hudson then thought he had equalised, but his header from close range was cleared off the line after a good build up between substitute Matty Waters and Chapell. 

CHESTER (4-4-2): Worsnop, George, Hudson, Astles, Hunt, Mahon, Shaw (Waters 65), Lloyd, Durrell, Alabi (Chapell 77), Richards. Subs (not used): Roberts, Joyce, Hughes.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS (4-4-2): Russell, Jefford (Frear 65), Clough, Bennett, Marsh-Brown (Robert 79), Noble, Pinnock, Moore, Carter, Racine, Murphy (Tubbs 70). Subs (not used): Leferrve, Doidge.

REFEREE: Andrew Miller (Durham). 


See Monday's Leader for full match report and pictures.