Ellesmere Port man's roof collapsed while he did dishes

Published date: 27 May 2014 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter Email reporter


A HEART patient got the shock of his life when a chunk of his kitchen ceiling collapsed as he washed the dishes.

Stephen Britten, 57, who suffers with chronic angina, managed to jump out of the way as lumps of concrete and plaster rained down.

He blames his nightmare on an upstairs neighbour’s washing machine, which sprung a leak which began dripping down into his council-owned flat on Sutton Way, Ellesmere Port.

Since the incident he has had housing workers and even firefighters at his home to assess and clear up the damage.

Mr Britten, who is signed off work due to his condition, said: “I’ve never known anything like it. I was doing my dishes when it just came down on top of me. It was lucky I managed to jump back out the way of most of it. There was sand and big pieces of concrete everywhere.

“I’m under a lot of stress at the moment, which isn’t good with angina. This is affecting my health. It could have put me in my box!”

He said the ceiling collapse and subsequent water damage had put his cooker out of action, and he was now relying on his microwave for hot meals.

“It’s a nightmare,” he said. “The council say they can’t do anything for a fortnight as the kitchen needs to dry out.”

A spokesman for Plus Dane Group, which maintains properties on behalf of Cheshire West and Chester Council, said: “The property has been made safe and all the work is arranged and due to be carried out. We are investigating the main source of the leak.”

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.


Featured Businesses

View all adverts