Chester boss 'devastated' by garage blaze

Published date: 07 February 2014 |
Published by: Neil Bellis
Read more articles by Neil Bellis


A GARAGE owner says he is “devastated” after fire ripped through his premises near Chester, destroying a van and badly damaging two cars.

Firefighters in six appliances – two from Chester, one from Ellesmere Port, one from Tarporley and two from Northwich – attended the blaze at Tarvin Garage Services, off High Street, Tarvin.

The fire, contained in a single storey garage measuring 30 metres by 20m, is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the van.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus located the fire and used a hose reel jet to put it out after being called out just before 8.30pm on Wednesday.

Pressure fans were used to clear the building of smoke and ground monitor jets were set up to cool an acetylene cylinder in the Pool Bank Trading Estate building.

An adjoining building was also cleared of smoke using high pressure fans.

Police officers arrived at the scene to manage traffic and utility companies were called in to isolate supplies to the building.

Owner of the garage, David Wild-Jones, said he had not begun to count the cost of the damage yet but was “devastated” about the blaze.

Mr Wild-Jones said yesterday: “We locked the workshop up as normal and then we got a phone call about 9pm and the fire brigade came and put all the fire out. The van, which was the centre of it, is completely totalled.

“Two vehicles have been badly damaged and there is some superficial damage to a few of the others.

“There is a lot of soot in the building which will all need a good clean out as well.

“It has been a stressful morning but it is a case of onwards and upwards.”

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.


Featured Businesses

View all adverts