A MAN whose brother was killed by a drink-driver has been sentenced for drink-driving himself.
Stuart Ross Walker, 39, never imagined he would be responsible for such an offence and was said to be devastated.
His own family had suffered at the hands of a drink-driver, a court heard.
Walker’s brother was tragically killed at the age of eight when he was hit by a drink-driver.
It was with genuine shame that he was now answering such a charge, Flintshire Magistrates Court was told.
It all happened many years ago but the pain had never gone away.
Walker had to tell his parents, who were retired and living in Bulgaria, what he had done.
Their reaction had been “How could you?” – knowing what they had been through.
Walker, who wept through some of the hearing, admitted driving with 88 microgrammes of alcohol in his blood, compared to the legal limit of 80.
He was fined £240, with £140 costs and he was banned from driving for 12 months.
Walker of Mill Field, Neston on The Wirral, was found asleep in his Skoda Superb on the A550 at Penymynydd, near Mold, in the early hours of November 3.
Prosecutor Helen Tench told how at 5.45am the car was found in the centre of both lanes with a rear off tyre deflated.
When he was woken up, he said that a friend had driven him there but when the friend was contacted he denied that.
The friend said he had been contacted by Walker who had asked him to provide him with an alibi.
Walker then admitted drink-driving and became upset.
Magistrates were told that, until the day before the offence, Walker worked for the Welsh Ambulance Service driving ambulances for repair to various destinations.
His job had come to an end because of funding issues.
That evening he went to Chester, where he helped serve tea at a night church on a voluntary basis – but when he arrived the church was closed.
One of the others involved in the group invited him for a drink and he ended up having two-and-a-half pints.
He arrived home but was anxious that his ID badge had not been handed in to the ambulance service.
It would be required by another driver and he decided to take it there and then because the following day he would be busy working as a catering assistant at the Everton Football Ground.
But on the way he had a blow out and stayed with the car until police came across him.
He is now working at a call centre in Manchester and the inevitable driving ban would cause him difficulties getting to work.